Hey friends! So, today I am going to share a few candid thoughts on a topic that I am guessing most, if not every single one of you, can identify with- BEING OVERWHELMED. Sound familiar?
I remember talking to my brother Mitch about this a few years ago, and just telling him what a major problem it was with me. I would get big-time stressed-out over things like a full schedule, big decisions, last minute tasks, leadership, and the list goes on and on.
Maybe later I’ll write more about my journey with anxiety (do any of you struggle with that?), but for now I’m specifically talking about that overwhelmed feeling. You know, when you feel like you can’t possibly do everything you need to do, or that life is general is just too much?
Can I encourage you with something? Please don’t stay in that place of overwhelm!
I think that when it comes to this thing of being overwhelmed, we have it all wrong. It is easy to feel that “I am so overwhelmed” and stay helplessly there. But remember:
Overwhelmed is a FEELING, not a REALITY.
What we need to do is identify how we got to this place and what to do about it. Living in a state of being overwhelmed is not the fullness of life God intended for us.
Here are a few things I’ve found to make a HUGE difference for me when I am getting overwhelmed.
- Spending sufficient quiet time with Jesus every morning. Really, this is such a big, big deal. If I rush through my time with the Lord, or am not really truly seeking to know His heart more on a regular basis, I begin to have major problems. I have found that I get overwhelmed so much more easily when my relationship with Him is suffering.
- Speaking the truth to my heart. The Bible says that David “encouraged his heart in the Lord”. Sometimes we don’t even realize the lies we are being fed or even saying to ourselves. When getting overwhelmed, I need to tell myself things like, “You CAN do all things thru Christ Who strengthens you”. Or, “If Christ is for you, who can be against you?” There are so many verses and truths that apply here. On the flip side, it is too easy to go down the detrimental road of telling ourselves lies like “No one cares.” or “I can’t please anyone.” or “I am such a failure!”
- Evaluating my schedule + priorities. Sometimes when I am getting overwhelmed, it is because I have not prioritized correctly. There are times when it is helpful to step back and ask, “what all is on my schedule right now? Are these the priorities Christ wants me to have or are there some good things I need to cut to make room for the best things?”
- Getting sufficient rest. Again, this is HUGE for me!!! For some very silly reason, when I have extra much to do I tend to cut back on sleep. Those are the very times when sufficient rest is most crucial! We are not super-humans- God created night-time for REST and trying to make it on insufficient sleep on a regular basis is not healthy or wise. Obviously, there are seasons when we cannot control this, but the majority of us have the ability to choose to sleep.:)
- Seeking Godly counsel. Sometimes when I am starting to feel overwhelmed, or trying to figure out whether or not to say yes to a particular activity, I call my dad and ask his opinion. For me, this has been a super helpful way to get another perspective (from someone I trust and admire greatly) on the situation. I highly recommend finding that person in your life that knows you- personality, priorities, and schedule- well and will tell you their honest opinion/counsel about whatever decision or struggle you are having.
Friends, God is for you! He smiles on you. He wants to help you with whatever you are struggling with.